Microsoft recently launched its new Operating System Windows 11 for the users on June 24, 2021. Since its announcement and its launching, everyone who has heard about this new Operating System has many questions regarding this. One of the questions is how to upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11?
In this blog post, I am going to tell the answer to how to upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11, along with some basic features about Windows 11. So, stick to the end of this post. This will surely be going to help you to upgrade Windows 10 to 11 for free.
Some Major Features Of Windows 11
There are many big changes that Windows 11 have brought for their users in the form of new features. This time Microsoft has brought major changes in the user interface with a fresh and modern look.
From the icons to the start menu to the layout of the apps, there are a lot of changes in design in Windows 11. Apart from these major changes, below are some of the major features of Windows 11 that you need to know before installing or upgrading Windows 10 to Windows 11.
- Design: The major change in Windows 11 is obviously the design. Windows 11 has a complete new design that looks fresh and more modern that will surely provide a complete new experience to their users. There are complete new sets of icons, wallpapers, fonts, and themes in Windows 11. With these new designs, Windows 11 have got a very different UI than the previous Operating Systems.
- New Microsoft Store: A completely new Microsoft Store with a new design, layout, and functions is introduced. This new layout seems more user-friendly and arranged than Microsoft Store in Windows 10.
- Android Apps On Windows: This is probably one of the best features that you will get in this new operating system. You will be able to run mobile apps on Windows. Although it is not exactly the Google Play Store or Apple App Store, it’s an Amazon App Store, from where you can download mobile apps for Windows. You no longer will need an emulator to run these apps on a PC.
- Microsoft Team: In Windows 10, we have to download Microsoft Team, but Microsoft has made it easier in Windows 11 by directly introducing this video chat platform into this new operating system.
- New Snap Tools: There are different layouts in Windows 11 to manage multiple windows on the screen. You can choose any of the available layouts and save them, and the next time when you will open multiple windows on the screen, they will be arranged in the layout you have saved.
- Widgets On Windows: Like mobile device, now you can have different widgets like Weather widget, Calendar widget, Calculator widget, etc on Windows PC too.
- New Features For Gaming: Microsoft has brought a lot of new features for the gamers in this new OS. There are more advanced settings like Auto HDR, better loading time, improved performances, etc.
- Multiple Desktop Supports: Windows 11 will let you create different virtual desktops for different works. You can even customize them with different wallpapers and themes. It will help you to create a separate desktop for personal use, work, school, gaming, or others. By doing so, you can easily toggle between these virtual desktops.
Have A Look At Windows 11
Things To Know Before Upgrading Windows 10 To Windows 11
There are few things that you should know before you upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 on your PCs. Some of these things are important for upgrading while some aren’t. Though have a look at these at once.
- Windows 11 is free only for Windows 10 users. It means if you aren’t using Windows 10, then you won’t be able to upgrade it to Windows 11. So if you want to use this new operating system by Microsoft for free, then you have only two options-either order Windows 11 or install Windows 10 first, and then upgrade it.
- Although Microsoft has officially launched Windows 11 on June 24, its update is not available now. According to the official website of Microsoft, we will be getting the updates to upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 by the end of this year or in early 2022.
- The last but not negligible thing you need to know before installing or upgrading Windows 11 is that you should have a Microsoft Account to download the updates and take advantage of the features of Windows 11.
Windows 11 System Requirements
There are some basic requirements that your PC or laptop should have for this upgrade. If your PC or laptop won’t meet the requirements, then neither you will be able to install Windows 11 on your PC nor you will be able to upgrade. Here are the system requirements for Windows 11.
|Processor||1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC)|
|RAM||4 gigabyte (GB)|
|Storage||64 GB or larger storage device|
|Firmware||UEFI, Secure Boot capable|
|TPM||Trusted Platform Module(TPM) Version 2.0|
|Graphics Card||Compatible with DirectX 12 or later with WDDM 2.0 driver|
|Display||High definition (720p) display that is greater than 9” diagonally, 8 bits per color channel|
How To Upgrade Windows 10 To Windows 11?
Though Microsoft had officially launched Windows 11 on June 24, 2021, they hadn’t made the updates available at the time of launch. They had said they will be rolling out the updates of Windows 11 by the end of this year or by early 2022.
But now Microsoft has started rolling out the updates of Windows 11. Luckily I got the updates of Windows 10 on my PC recently. So, I am going to share my personal experience on how to upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11.
You can upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 easily by joining the Window Insider Program. If your PC is compatible with Windows 11, and you have joined the Window Insider Program, then you will be automatically getting the updates of Windows 11 sooner or later.
You can do this process in two parts:
- PC Health Check: Check the compatability of PC for Windows 11.
- Windows 11 Insider Program: Once your device is compatible for Windows 11, join Windows 11 Insider Program to get the updates of Windows 11(Insider Preview Of Windows 11).
Now, here is the process of upgrading Windows 10 to 11 step by step.
Check Compatibility Of PC
Follow these steps to check whether your PC running on Windows 10 is compatible with Windows 11 or not:
Step 1: If your PC is running on Windows 10, then the first thing you need to do is to check your PC meets the system requirements for Windows 10 or not. To check that, you need to download the PC Health Check app from the official Microsoft website. Your PC must need to meet the system requirements for Windows 11 otherwise, even if you are a Windows 10 user, you can’t have the updates of Windows 11.
Step 2: Once you download and install this app, open the app and you will find the Check Now button on the Home Page. Click Check Now and wait for few seconds. After few seconds, it will get you whether your PC can run Windows 11 or not.
Step 3: If your PC can run Windows 11, then once the upgrade rollout will be started, you can check if it is ready for your device by going to Settings/Updates & Security/Windows Updates. But not all the Windows 10 running PCs that are eligible for running Windows 11 will get the updates at the same time. There can be some delays in some PCs too.
If the updates of Windows 11 are made available on your PC, you will be seeing Windows like this.
Join Windows Insider Program To Upgrade To Windows 11
If updates of Windows 11 aren’t available on your PC, then now join Windows 11 Insider Program to get the updates. Follow this process to join the Windows 11 Insider Program to upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 easily:
- Open Settings on your PC, and then click Update & Security.
- After opening Update & Security, click Windows Insider Program that is on the bottom of the left sidebar.
- Open Windows Insider Program and click the Get Started button. Then link your Microsoft account to Windows Insider Program.
- After linking your account, you will see three options-Dev Channel, Beta Channel, Release Preview Channel. Pick one of the options you want to choose, and then Confirm it.
- Now restart your PC. After restarting your PC, check for the updates by going to Settings/Updates & Security/Windows Update. If the updates aren’t available, then refresh the Setting few times or wait for some time, it will be available.
Watch On YouTube How To Join Window Insider Program
After getting the updates of Windows 11, download the updates, it will take some time to download. Once it is downloaded, it will begin to install automatically. After installing, give your PC some time to restart. Once it will get restarted, you will be experiencing a completely new operating system with an all-new UI and design.
If you haven’t got the updates, then wait for few times or few days.
Conclusion On How To Upgrade To Windows 11
This is the way by which you can upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 for free. I wish you will be getting the updates of Windows 11 very soon on your PC. Windows 11 is the best update that Microsoft has provided so far.
I hope you like this article. If there is something that you don’t understand, or if you are facing some sort of issues in downloading and installing Windows 11, then let me know in the comment box.